Monday, March 30, 2009

Gym Endorphins are Hype




I mean really - i keep hearing about this - but i havent experienced it yet. and it's already so disappointing. what successful person gives a rats hiney about what people think about how she looks? oh...it's me. and the endorphins thing has just never happened for me. plus, the self loathing has always been an issue - but now we're at an all time low. anyway, i'm at the gym, on the machine. i am sweating, and going FAST, and hard, and i know that i-look-hot...literally hot, like my entire body is red, and sweat is dripping down my back, and there may be steam coming out of my ears. anyway, after watching CNN longer than any human being should, and making myself go way longer than i thought possible...i burned, yes, a big 200 calories. that doesn't even cover an organic whole food vegan food bar, right? not even 1/4 cup of peanuts. oh ya, those endorphins were freaking flying. right after my self esteem took another dive. it's amazing that i managed to eat like a vegan saint the rest of the day. except for the wine - of course. do endorphins only come after you're skinny? is that the secret? or is it just hype? more green tea please.

1 comment:

  1. Endorphins are a hormone released by the pituitary gland.(as you probably already know) These endorphins are also released by pain and orgasm.
    From what you have written here,it occurred to me that you could actually be PREVENTING yourself from experiencing the endorphin rush. Outside of the possibility of any pharmacological agent that may be hindering the phenomena, Do you think that a poor self image as you have described here, which could bring about a depression or even anxiety about your looks while working out could be a prohibitive factor? I mean, we are talking about hormones here.
    Mood and attitude are definitely key ingredients to the endorphin high!

    ReplyDelete