Saturday, July 11, 2009

Another work thing


So I am writing this thing about me for work. Its a piece for our newsletter that introduces me and talks about my vision for the restaurant. It goes out to a data base of 18,000 people. Eighteen thousand people I said. oh Lord.

I have written newsletters in my past for over 500 folks, about money management, and also about a restaurant I ran in Dallas. But I have NEVER written about me. And now here I am. After years of journals and obscure writings on removed websites, I now am writing about me for folks I know...and I feel super lame. Such a fine line between making sure folks know that I am qualified and alternately showing modesty and humilty. What's a girl to do?

So....I'll put my rough draft here,,,and the three or four people who actually look at my blog can (gently) give me feedback? okay...here goes...

As the newest member of the leadership team at Georges at the Cove, I probably need to introduce myself to you, and let you know a bit about me. I was born and raised in Orange County and graduated from Cal State Long Beach. My professional background is a resume full of working for chef-owned restaurants in Orange County, Los Angeles, and Dallas as everything from Maitre d’ to General Manager. I went into the boutique hotel business in 2003 and experienced running a restaurant, a bar, a few banquets, room service and pool service simultaneously…that was fun (really). I eventually became a hotel manager. Quickly I realized that I missed the food, as running the food and beverage department became only one small element of what I did every day. I left to run a small restaurant/bar for a just and after a few months a recruiter called to tell me about this fantastic opportunity at one of the best restaurants in America. I stopped him to let him know that I was very happy and not interested in anything he had to say…then he told me it was Georges at the Cove. I agreed to listen. I drove down to San Diego on my next day off, and ate at California Modern. The design was so pristinely beautiful, the citrus cured yellowtail with the soy gelee to die for, the Meyer lemon ravioli was top five most delicious things I’ve ever put in my mouth, and the thoughtful wine list impressed me.
I told the recruiter I definitely wanted to meet these people. After hours of three long, grueling interviews (including a ream of tests including personality, math, and ethics) George and Trey offered me the job.

I often say that I was built for this. When I was eight years old, I spent my allowance on pens and order pads, and then would make my little sister play restaurant with me. I would set the table, take her order, hang the order up in the kitchen, cook it, serve it, then do the dishes, and beg her to let me do it again.

I know that every job I’ve ever had in my life was to prepare me to work here at Georges. The opportunity to work with such a brilliant chef/owner as Trey and a such a dynamic restauranteuer as George is breathtaking. I feel lucky to be the one they chose to help run their amazing business that they have built over the last 25 years. The comradarie of the staff and management team impresses me and brings me joy, every day. Now I know that this willI sound like a lunatic – who would want to deal with up to 1,100 guests every day who all want a window table, all expect to be blown away by the food and service, and all deserve an exceptional dining experience (and the 200 staff members it takes to make this happen)? It’s me. It makes me excited just thinking about running the shift tonight!

My management style is fair and professional, and I like to have fun. I learned the importance of building relationships so that people actually WANT to work for me from the Director of Operations from Chamberlains in Dallas. I hold a firm belief in proper service carried out in a non-stuffy, relaxed manner that makes people feel warm and welcomed from Liza Goodell, chef/owner of Domaine Restaurant group in Orange County. I embraced the belief in challenging myself to “how will I be a better leader today?” from the Janne Clare, Vice President of Kor Hotel Group in Los Angeles. And I strive to equally inspire people and hold my team accountable which I learned from Vincent Piro, a former Hotel GM. I also have four tenants that I drive my team with 1. Relentless commitment to service 2. Remain flexible 3. Be Accountable/ Display Integrity 4. Exude Leadership. These help guide decision making and prioritizing daily tasks.

It seems a daunting task to attempt to improve anything at Georges, as our comment cards overwhelmingly gush about service, food, and the view (people, product and environment). Nevertheless, it is my quest. I want you to think of Georges as your place, where you feel comfortable and at home. I’d like to inspire you to discover something new – like an albarino instead of a sauvignon blanc – and fall in love with it. I’d love you to know our servers by name, and feel so taken care of that you ask for them when you come back. I also hope that we don’t stop at impressing you with our food, service and view, but also by the feeling you get when you think of dining with us.

I am so lucky that I absolutely love what I do. Caring for people, serving someone for the first time; introducing people to new ingredients or an interesting wine; mentoring people; developing managers into becoming better leaders…this is the best job on earth. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I get to conduct this business with a perfect view of the La Jolla Cove? Really – it doesn’t get better than this.

So, please, introduce yourself to me next time you are here. I’d love to hear about your George’s stories. It will take me a while to meet all of you, and I look forward to it.

So that's it...Am I a complete geek or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment